I believe that we can all benefit from those who have gone before us. Their experience and wisdom are invaluable in overcoming our perfectionism.
I also believe that everyone loves a good quote. A good, inspiring quote has you pumping your fist into the air and shouting ‘Hell yeah!’.
So today I'm rounding up my favorite quotes from the some of the best to help you stay motivated as you deal with your perfectionism and embrace your perfectly imperfect self.
PIN AWAY :)
If you love these quotes, please Pin them, Tweet them, download and share them on Instagram, or save them for you to refer to when you need an instant shot of motivation.
1. “The seed of your next artwork lies embedded in the imperfections of your current piece.” - David Bayles
2. “The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.” - George Orwell
3. "We can choose to be perfect and admired or to be real and loved." - Glennon Doyle Melton
4. "Perfectionism is internalized oppression." - Gloria Steinem
5. “When things are perfect, that's when you need to worry most.” - Drew Barrymore
6. “Perfectionism is self-abuse of the highest order.” - Anne Wilson Schaef
7. “You are magnificent beyond measure, perfect in your imperfections, and wonderfully made.” - Abiola Abrams
8. “Perfectionism is a dream killer, because it’s just fear disguised as trying to do your best. It just is.” - Mastin Kipp
9. "And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good." - John Steinbeck
10. “Too many people spend too much time trying to perfect something before they actually do it. Instead of waiting for perfection, run with what you go, and fix it along the way…” - Paul Arden
11. “Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft. I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it.” - Anne Lamott
12. “At its root, perfectionism isn’t really about a deep love of being meticulous. It’s about fear. Fear of making a mistake. Fear of disappointing others. Fear of failure. Fear of success.” - Michael Law
13. “Good enough is good enough. Perfect will make you a big fat mess every time.” - Rebecca Wells
14. “Perfectionism attaches to what is valued in the culture.” - Gloria Steinem
15. “Perfectionism doesn't believe in practice shots. It doesn't believe in improvement. Perfectionism has never heard that anything worth doing is worth doing badly - and that if we allow ourselves to do something badly we might in time become quite good at it. Perfectionism measures our beginner's work against the finished work of masters. Perfectionism thrives on comparison and competition. It doesn't know how to say, "Good try," or "Job well done." The critic does not believe in creative glee - or any glee at all, for that matter. No, perfectionism is a serious matter.” - Julia Cameron
16. “There is no perfection, only beautiful versions of brokenness.” - Shannon L. Alder
17. “Embrace being perfectly imperfect. Learn from your mistakes and forgive yourself, you’ll be happier.” - Roy Bennett
18. “The most dangerous way we sabotage ourselves is by waiting for the perfect moment to begin. Nothing works perfectly the first time, or the first fifty times. Everything has a learning curve. The beginning is just that - a beginning. Surrender your desire to do it flawlessly on the first try. It's not possible. Learn to learn. Learn to fail. Learn to learn from failing. And begin today. Begin now. Stop waiting.” - Vironika Tugaleva
19. “Perfectionism is a delusion that can rob one of a very successful, enriching life if not careful.” - April Bryan
20. “There is a difference between obsessive perfectionism and taking time to create something that is the best you can offer. Knowing what needs to be better and stretching to improve yourself is what separates the mediocre from the marvelous.” - Suzanna Reeves
21. “Perfection is a faux. It’s a mask carved by our own poor esteem to hide who we really are and make others see what really isn’t us.” - Chinonye J. Chidolue
22. “In the end, perfection is just a concept - an impossibility we use to torture ourselves and that contradicts nature.” - Guillermo del Toro
23. “Your darkest moments are not meant to be swept under the carpet, hidden from the world in the silent pursuit of perfection. The darkness you've overcome is your ticket into leadership. It's what you're meant to light up in the world.” - Vironika Tugaleva
24. “Perfectionism may look good in his shiny shoes, but he's a bit of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties.” - Ze Frank
25. “If you wait for things to be perfect, you walk away with nothing. Just jump in and get started.” - Jennifer Ritchie Payette
26. “As we try to achieve perfection, society changes and we just become more imperfect.” - Joao Matod
27. “I really believe that it is honesty about our imperfect selves that makes everyone do better and be better.” - Dan Pearce
28. “The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism and become a fearless mother is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly - indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection.” - Arianna Huffington
29. “In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism.” - Hannah Arendt
30. “Perfectionism becomes a badge of honor with you playing the part of the suffering hero.” - David D. Burns
Want more motivation and support
in dealing with your perfectionism?
If you are inspired and ready to take action to let go of your perfectionism, then make sure to download my FREE 10+ page, step-by-step, perfectionism-busting workbook. Just click the button below!
Hi there! I’m Wendy, perfectionism coach and host of the #perfectionistproblems community for recovering perfectionists. I’m insanely passionate about helping you overcome your perfectionism, so that you can stop caring so much about what other people think and finally take on those dream projects that you've been putting off for so long.